Monday, October 14, 2013

For the Couple Relocating - DIY Moving Mugs

So my friend Giulia decided to drop two big bombs on me last week:
1.) She is ENGAGED!!!  (Huge yay)
2.) She is MOVING TO LONDON with her new fiancé.  (Huge yay for her but boo for me)

I once saw these adorable state-to-state "moving mugs" on Etsy and then again on Pinterest.  They are pinned on my "Perfect Gift" board and boy are they coming in handy.
 

Giulia and I worked together in NYC and went on many, many coffee runs together so I knew as soon as she told me about her happy news that her engagement/relocation gift would have something to do with coffee.  Giulia was born in Italy so she has an appreciation (more like obsession) of coffee like no one I've ever met.

Since I'm on a budget (who isn't) and one of the purposes of this blog is to see how many DIY projects I can get myself into, I decided to try and replicate these mugs for Giulia and Marco (her fiancé), with my own twist of course.

So here it is, step-by-step instructions (including some tips I learned along the way). 
  1. Purchase 2 plain white mugs.  (The Dollar Tree - I bought 4 just in case I messed up.  I'm glad I bought 4).
  2. Get your supplies ready - all you need is a pencil, a fine point black Sharpie, a regular black Sharpie, a regular red Sharpie, print-outs of the cities (or states or countries) you want to draw on the mugs.
  3. The hard part - Draw on the mugs.  I decided to draw the NYC skyline and the London skyline because I'm pretty artistic.  But if you're lacking in those skills, you can always draw a simple outline of the state or country.  I used pencil first.  Don't worry if you mess up using the pencil or even the Sharpie.  **TIP - Don't use a regular pencil eraser on the mugs.  If you want to "erase" you pencil, simply use a damp tissue.  If you want to "erase" you Sharpie, take a Q-tip and dip it in alcohol.


  4. "Bake" the mugs in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  This ensures that your beautiful artwork will remain permanent and dishwasher safe.
  5. Remove the mugs from the oven (with an oven mitt!) and allow them to cool.  YOU DID IT!

Here's a couple quick videos of the mugs so you can have a 360 view:

I'll let you know how Giulia likes her home-made gifts.  I have a feeling the message, "Home is where the heart coffee is", will make her smile.  And isn't that what gift-giving is all about?

As always, if you'd like me to make these for you, I can customize it to any country, state, city, town... email me at backyardbridenj@gmail.com.  I'm planning on opening up an Etsy shop soon so stay tuned for that!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THESE! I can't believe you freehanded those outlines! You are very artistic! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Cristin! I love any excuse to draw.

    ReplyDelete