Tuesday, September 3, 2013

For the Couple Who Loves to Spoon

Confession - I'm addicted to Pinterest.  Like seriously addicted.  But here's another confession - I haven't even attempted about 99% of my pins.  Especially the ones on my "Craft-tastic" board.  While I consider myself a crafty person, I also consider myself a busy person and the last time I checked - busy people don't have time for arts and crafts.

Not the case with this adorable DIY gift I recently made for a bride-to-be.  I wanted to give her a silly little gift at her bachelorette party, especially since I can't make it to her destination wedding.  She and her fiancé just purchased a beautiful new home and I was racking my brain trying to come up with a gift that would be suitable for a housewarming/happy-bachelorette-party.  Pinterest to the rescue! 

I went to The Dollar Tree for most of my supplies; the others I had left-over from my wedding:
  • Large silver spoon
  • Small silver spoon
  • 8" x 10" frame
  • Burlap
  • Twine
  • Sharpie marker
  • Pencil
  • Hot glue gun/glue sticks
Ready to get my craft on.



  1. I removed the glass from the frame and set it aside.  I ended up using it as a straight edge when I did my lettering. 
  2. I cut the burlap to fit the frame.
  3. I tied the spoons together with a piece of thin twine.
  4. I hot glued the spoons to the burlap at the top of the frame (I used the frame horizontally).
  5. I wrote out "Spooning since 2007" in pencil first on the burlap. 
  6. I traced over the writing with black Sharpie.
  7. I messed up on the word "since."
  8. I cut another piece of burlap and re-wrote "since" and glued it over top of the messed up "since."  I actually really liked the 3D result.
  9. I inserted the burlap into the frame.
  10. I hot glued a piece of twine tied into a little bow at the bottom of the frame for a finishing touch.

Total cost: $4 (not including the stuff I already had)
Total time: 20 minutes
The look on my friend's face when she opened this unique gift: PRICELESS.


No comments:

Post a Comment