Friday, September 6, 2013

The Great Wedding Album Debate

To say that Brian and I were on a tight budget while planning our wedding would be a major understatement.  We cut corners everywhere we could - our caterer was my BFF's husband, our florist was an old family friend, our DJ was Brian's high school buddy.  All of these people, might I add, kindly cut us a break but are professionals in their fields and did a FABULOUS job.

We also made some sacrifices along the way.  For example, my mode of transportation in getting to our ceremony was my sister/MOH's Nissan Pathfinder since we opted not to splurge for a limo.  We also decided to serve just beer and wine as opposed to mixed drinks with expensive liquor during the reception. 

But the one thing I'm so glad we decided to spend a little bit of extra money on is our wedding album.  This might sound like a premature statement since we haven't even received it.  In fact, we haven't even picked our favorite 80 pictures to go in our wedding album.  I just know I'm going to love it and cherish it for the rest of the my days because it will tell the story of the happiest day of my life - one beautiful photo at a time.

We didn't originally choose the photography package that included the photo album.  When we met with our photographer, we chose the bare bones minimum which basically just gave us the rights to do what we please with the photos she took.  I figured I could always make an album myself using Snapfish or Shutterfly; I mean the rest of our wedding was DIY, why not? 

Then I came across a very well-written and thoughtful article on the Huffington Post, "The Case Against 'Good Enough'" and I had a smart change of heart.  I highly, highly recommend you take a few minutes to read it - especially if you're torn on whether or not to fit the wedding album into your budget.

I think it's easy for brides to get caught up in the day-of details.  I know I did.  Ultimately, though, your wedding day will come and go in a blink and all you're left with is memories. 

When I tell my kids, and even my grandkids, about my wedding day, I'll most likely not bore them with the fact that we had a sushi bar or cookies and milk for dessert.  I'll just sit them on my lap, pull out my wedding album and let the pictures tell the story.




No comments:

Post a Comment